Skip to content

Child Support

Securing your child’s future and well-being is important. Part of this is by making sure that child support obligations are met. As an experienced Colleyville child support lawyer, Rashelle Fetty works with her clients to ensure that child support awards are calculated appropriately. She works diligently to ensure that child support orders are fairly applied, with all appropriate considerations, regardless if you are receiving or paying child support.

Child Support in Texas

The Fetty Firm will explain Texas child support law, as well as your rights as someone who is a receiver or payee of child support.

Typically, there are caps on child support amounts in Texas. These caps are referred to as child support guidelines. In a guideline support order, the non-custodial parent pays:

  • 20% of his or her net income (income from all resources, fewer taxes and child healthcare costs) for one child
  • 25% for two children
  • 30% for three children
  • 35% for four children
  • 40% for five children
  • 40% or more for six or more children

The non-custodial parent is responsible for child support until the child turns 18 years old or graduates from high school, whichever comes first.

Guidelines are simply guidelines. If the non-custodial parent and the custodial parent whether mother or father can come to terms with an arrangement, then that arrangement takes precedence.

You may have many questions about Texas Child Support law

Rashelle Fetty and the Colleyville child support lawyers at Fetty Firm can help clients who are:

  • Facing lawsuits for back child support
  • Needing to enforce child support orders
  • Wishing to modify a child support order

Child support is a complex issue that may require further litigation over time. Understandably, you have many questions regarding child support in Texas. Rashelle Fetty as a Colleyville child support lawyer can answer questions such as:

  • How does Texas state guidelines work?
  • How do I structure a child support agreement with my former spouse?
  • Concerns over paycheck garnishment to fulfill child support obligations.
  • How does child health insurance and health care costs factor in?
  • What happens in the event of job loss on the part of the payee?
  • What happens in the event of a change in income?
  • Can I challenge the paternity of the child or children in question?
  • On what grounds can the child support order can be modified?
  • What happens in the event of remarriage?